Relentless Pursuit of Wisdom and Liberty

The weblog companion of Trippet.net, dedicated to pondering, "If Patrick Henry could see us now..."

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

A new personal best 10k!!!


So I went to the gym this afternoon just like I do just about every day after work, just planning to run my 5k (3.1 miles), burn my 600 calories* and call it a day. After the first two miles, I was feeling really strong and realized I was running at a pace where I could take a legitimate shot at my personal best time for a 10k! So I kept going, powered through the tough spot (always happens about 4 miles in) and made it to 6.2 miles in 49:50! I obliterated my previous best by about 3 minutes (which is huge!) - averaging just a hair over an 8-minute mile the whole way. Pretty darn good for the basketball guy who used to absolutely detest running distance!

* For those who don't know, I've been on a workout regimen that uses my basal metabolic rate to calculate how many net calories I should consume per day in order to lose a pound a week (the widely-recognized safe rate). From April to September last year I lost 25 pounds, then I took football season "off" - that is, I worked out and watched what I ate closely enough to maintain my weight but wasn't really trying to lose any more. Now I'm back on the program and aiming to lose another 30 by November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home