Relentless Pursuit of Wisdom and Liberty

The weblog companion of Trippet.net, dedicated to pondering, "If Patrick Henry could see us now..."

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Prop. 77 takes another blow


According to the OC Register:

A state appeals court on Tuesday refused to put Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's redistricting initiative back on November's special-election ballot, saying supporters' use of two versions to qualify the measure was a 'clear violation' of the constitution.
The deadline that the secretary of state sets for a final ruling is the 15th, only five days away, which may not give supporters enough time to appeal this ruling to the state supreme court - though there are about a million Californians, myself included, who want this initiative on the ballot.

I don't have anything particularly pithy to say about this - I've found myself in the same situation with a lot of the recent stories I've read about that in the recent past I might have energetically blogged about: CAFTA, the transportation bill, teachers' unions, etc. I'm just finding myself lately very jaded about the battle for liberty and limited government, feeling like it's a hopeless struggle that I'd be better off just leaving alone so I can concentrate on other, more personal and important things like my family and my career. I try to remind myself why I got started, that "the price of liberty is eternal vigilance", back in the 2003 CA recall election, and the words of John Adams, quoted by Tom McClintock, that wound me up to start contributing in some small way to the battle myself, but I always seem to find something more important to do, like spending time with my son Riley, or more pressing, like my career-advancing schoolwork.

Luckily (?) I don't have tens or hundreds of readers to disappoint by my lack of blogging, but hey, maybe I'll get back to it more steadily one of these days. I just don't have the energy for it at the moment. Thanks for stopping by, and if you really like what you see below feel free to drop me an email (jason (at) trippet (dot) net) letting me know that you'd like to see more.

UPDATE: In case you weren't aware, the California Supreme Court has put Prop. 77 back on the ballot. Its poll numbers have been very strong so far, but it will face some very stiff opposition from incumbent legislators of both parties and the usual suspects who have said incumbents in their pockets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home